[SSPX Chapel Cape Town] Sermon of Fr. Denis Puga, in times of epidemic

Fr. John Jenkins jenkins at sspx.org.za
Wed Mar 18 08:48:21 CET 2020

Dear Faithful,

Below is a text of a sermon pronounced by Fr. Denis Puga, a priest
of the Society of St. Pius X in France. Note that Fr. Denis Puga
is a medical doctor, graduating before entering the seminary at
Econe.

Father Daniel Couture, a SSPX priest from Quebec, provided this
translation as well as an audio recording here:

http://url.fsspx.me/1a

Perhaps the link will be of interest to those who are suffering
from the distortions of the media today.

God bless,
--
+ Fr. John Jenkins, SSPX <jenkins at sspx.org.za>
Roodepoort, South Africa - PGP: 533B FBFF 7A42 6CB7

=====

Sermon pronounced on Saturday 7 March 2020 by Fr. Denis Puga,
SSPX,

At the church of Saint Nicolas du Chardonnet for the votive mass
“in times of epidemic”. Subtitles added to divide the text.

The Catholic answer to Epidemics

My Dear Brethren,

It has always been the habit of the Church, since the dawn of time
on the occasion of public calamity to turn to the Lord, especially
in times of epidemic. This is not the first, and it is not the
last, no doubt, in the history of mankind. But epidemics always
have something worrying about them, because like demons, you
cannot see what is attacking you. Thus, the Church turns to the
good God, especially through this Mass which is very ancient,
which we celebrate to ask the good God to preserve us from evil.

* What the Church asks of God

What does the Church ask in these prayers? It asks God, of course,
to repel these diseases that attack us, if we are afflicted with
them, that we overcome them; if it is the hour of our death, that
we prepare ourselves for it. But the Church does not only ask for
this, the Church asks for the light of God, she asks that, on the
occasion of these events, which are always a little peculiar,
which are often the cause of social disorder, the Christian should
manifest his faith, the Christian should manifest his virtue which
is sometimes put to the test: there can be a danger of lack of
trust, of selfishness, of lack of charity. She also asks for
assistance to all those who, especially among Christians, in these
more difficult times, will have to carry out their duty of state
in a Christian way. I am thinking especially of doctors, nurses,
all those who care for the sick, because it has always been one of
the missions of the Church to concern herself with those who
suffer and with the sick. The Church also prays for the public
authorities, because this kind of trial, this kind of calamity,
demands that we be governed in an upright way, with prudence, with
wisdom, even if we do not share, far from it, all the positions
and opinions of those who govern us. There are times when we have
to ask the good Lord, as St Peter said so well, to enlighten them
so that we can submit to wise rules.

* The meaning of these events

The Church also prays that we understand the meaning of these
events. Our first reflex must be a reflex of supernatural gaze,
and this is perhaps the most worrying thing right now, my dear
brethren, in these days we are living. It is not so much this
epidemic, it is not so much what is happening, it is to see that
in the Church, fear has entered, as well as anxiety and lack of
faith. It is not the time to empty the holy water fonts, it is not
the time to close the churches, it is not the time to refuse
communion to the faithful, or even the sacraments to the sick. On
the contrary, it is a time to come closer to God, to understand
the meaning of these calamities. From time immemorial the Church,
on the occasion of plagues and epidemics, has made public
processions with manifestations of faith, this has been the
occasion for the Church to preach penance.  Penance, penance! As
you know, this is the very beautiful passage from the Old
Testament that we read earlier in the epistle: the sin of pride of
King David who wanted to count his people to have the satisfaction
of knowing that he was leading a great nation. And the consequence
of this was a punishment by God. Yes, because God punishes as a
father can punish his children. The punishment for this pride was
a terrible plague, but as soon as God saw that hearts were turning
towards Him, God made the angel of sickness stop taking revenge.

* The Time of Penance

This is the time of penance, the time to return to God, whoever we
are, the just and the less just, sinners, all of us must do
penance. God does not always punish, and events, calamities, are
not always caused directly by God, it can happen in exceptional
cases, it is the laws of nature such as earthquakes,
epidemics. These are the consequences of the fact that since the
original sin, man is no longer master of everything. Yes, man is
no longer master of everything, my dear brethren. But God has said
with the coming of Our Lord Jesus Christ : “I will protect you
from these public calamities, I will protect you from them if you
are faithful to Me”. The problem today, my dear brethren, is not
that we are using human means to try to repel these calamities,
that is quite normal, all this is in the order of things; the
problem is that we are saying to God “leave us alone, let us
control this”. But the only one who has the situation “under
control”, as we say today, is the good Lord. So, what does God do?
God says, “you don't want my help? Well, you're on your own”, and
that is the worst thing, the worst thing.  Let us turn to the good
Lord

Let's turn to the good Lord. As I was saying, this is not the
first epidemic that the world has known, nor perhaps the most
serious. Just think of the Spanish flu at the end of the First
World War, which caused more than fifty million deaths, I mean
deaths! The Church was in the front line.  If you are a little
curious go and see the photographic archives of the time, you can
see those nuns who were going to take care of the sick and who
were already wearing the famous mask that we are talking about
today, nothing new under the sun. Christians were in the front
line to practice charity, sometimes at the risk of their lives,
and this is an opportunity to manifest one's faith. During this
terrible epidemic of the Spanish flu, the Church continued to
celebrate worship, using the sacraments, sacramentals, recourse to
the intercession of the saints, a great tradition of the
Church. We must do the same, my dear brethren, let us not be, and
it is for us priests that I am speaking, let us not be like those
bad shepherds who, when they see the wolf - or the virus - appear
in the distance, run away! But let us be like the good shepherd.

* Victims with Our Lord Jesus Christ

Dear brethren, we always wonder in front of such events,
disasters, because the good ones are also affected, not only
sinners, but also the good ones.  I was speaking to you a moment
ago about the Spanish flu, remember that it was during that flu,
which was terrible, that Jacinta and Francisco Marto, the two
children of Fatima, died, in quite terrible conditions, and they
offered their lives for the conversion of sinners. This is a law
that will last until the end of the world. The good Lord needs
victims, victims who atone in union with the one who is the Victim
par excellence, Our Lord Jesus Christ.

One day in the Gospel, the apostles questioned Jesus because there
had been a massacre in the temple of Jerusalem, Galileans had come
to pray, to offer sacrifice, and on that occasion Pontius Pilate
had them massacred. This had “challenged”, as we say today, the
apostles and disciples of Jesus. “What?  Holy men who offer the
sacrifice are being massacred? What sin have they done that God
should punish them in this way?” In the same way, the apostles
asked Jesus because there had been a catastrophe in Jerusalem, a
tower had collapsed, the tower of Siloam, and eighteen people had
died, and the apostles had asked the question, “What did they do
to die like this, coming on pilgrimage to Jerusalem, and to be
crushed like this under a tower?” What is the answer of Our Lord
Jesus Christ? Our Lord said, “Do not think that they were greater
sinners than others, but I tell you, if you do not do penance, you
will all perish likewise.” This is what Our Lord says.  Calamities
are the consequence of sins...

Calamities must make us think that if we do not do penance, we
will all perish. God is good, He does not want the death of the
sinner but He wants him to convert and live. Public calamities are
often the consequence of the sins of public authorities, that is
so. Today we can be worried because all the evil laws that are
multiplying, all the violations of natural law, the apostasy -
even in the Church - that we see today, cannot leave the good God
indifferent. In the Old Testament we even saw the Jews who
protested to God when he did not punish them, because they said,
“But do you no longer love us?” They preferred God's punishment to
God's silence, and God’s silence is perhaps the worst thing.

My dear brethren, all day long on the television sets, we are
shown the curves of the sick or o the dead, and it is true that it
is impressive, but let us not forget that, for example, recently,
in a country not so far from us, in Belgium, in one year three
thousand people were euthanized - that is the official figure -
and among them children as well were euthanized. And I am not
talking about the number of abortions today. These are all sins
crying out to heaven. My dear brethren, we have to think about
this, we have to do penance: God does not want the death of the
sinner, but He wants him to convert and live.

* The traditional way of dealing with epidemics

My dear brethren, among you there are people who are coming here
perhaps for the first time, I have met some of them this week, and
the priests of this parish too. People who have been refused
communion in the churches because they asked for it in the
traditional way in the mouth, and they come here because they want
to receive communion. We see here the weakness, to say the least,
of the leaders in the Church, not all of them, fortunately. There
is no greater risk of spreading the virus by communion in the
mouth than by communion in the hand. Fortunately, there are still
some bishops, such as one bishop in the United States, who
reminded us of this. In a letter to his faithful, this bishop
said: “I consulted a committee of experts, of doctors, before
writing this letter, and they say that (communion on the tongue)
is not a greater danger for the spread of the disease”.

Communion is not the source of death, communion is the source of
life.  There is a right, that was recalled by the Holy See a few
years ago, there is a right for the faithful to receive communion
on the tongue, one does not deprive those who are in calamity of
the sacraments. So, I say to them: you are at home, here, because
here you will always find the Church's usual, traditional way of
dealing with epidemics. Let us also entrust ourselves to the
miraculous medal, wear it, let it be worn, it is a bulwark against
all the temptations of the devil.

In a little while, after this Mass, you will have the possibility,
for those who wish, to come to the communion table to receive the
blessing with relics that we have, among others, relics of Saint
Pius X, Saint Pius V, our dear holy Curé d'Ars, and Saint John
Eudes, there is also a relic of Saint Thomas Aquinas that we are
celebrating today. This is not done in vain, but it is to receive
the protection of these saints, to live a Christian life, to
endure illness and to be protected from it if it is God's will.

* Becoming like children again

I'll just close by saying that the peculiarity of this disease as
we see it today is that it doesn't seem to affect children, or at
least not seriously. Perhaps this is a sign from God because in
the Gospel Jesus Christ tells us: “unless you become as children
again, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven”. Not to enter the
kingdom of heaven is to be damned, that is the worst of perils,
that is the worst of calamities.

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy
Ghost. Amen.

Father Denis Puga