[SSPX Chapel Cape Town] Holy Week 2020

Fr. John Jenkins jenkins at sspx.org.za
Mon Apr 6 19:31:48 CEST 2020

Dear Faithful,

Holy Week is normally the greatest time of year for us Christians,
who celebrate therein the Passion, Death and Resurrection of
Christ. This year we must accompany Our Lord more than usual in
His Passion, due to the authorities prohibiting any public
Masses. We encourage you to follow as best you can with these
modern means that we have available. Although imperfect they can
at least raise our minds to God and We fervently beg Him to grant
back the use of our chapel.

For the first three days of Holy Week, we will be continuing our
usual schedule that we have been following since the government
closure of our chapel. There will be morning prayers at 6:30am
followed by meditation. At 7:15 there will be a low Mass with
sermon and announcements. At midday, 12:30, there will be a visit
to the Blessed Sacrament and the Angelus. In the evening at 17:00
there will be a catechism lesson on the Mumble server followed by
Rosary and Benediction.

During the Rosary we will be singing the hymn "Stella Caeli
Extirpavit", a hymn to Our Lady composed by the Sister of the
Monastery of Santa Clara in Coimbra, Portugal during the Black
Death (1347-1351). At the following link you can download a pdf of
the score as well as a recording: http://url.fsspx.me/1c

We pray especially for Divine intervention through Our Lady in
these difficult times.

As the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is intrinsically linked to that
of the Cross, there is no liturgical separation of Holy Thursday
from that of Good Friday. Both must be celebrated in the same
sanctuary on the appointed days, as one cannot be celebrated
without the other. On Holy Thursday there is only one principal
Mass in a diocese, normally that of the Chrism Mass presided by
the Bishop. The Mass in a local parish is normally only tolerated
for the need of the faithful. Thus so-called "private masses" are
not permitted on Holy Thursday except with the attendance of at
least a few faithful. As this is not possible in our circumstances
we will not be allowed to celebrate Mass on this day, and by
consequence not be able to offer you a radio stream of this Mass.

As the liturgy Good Friday is intrinsically linked to that of Holy
Thursday, the same rule applies and likewise we won't be able to
offer an audio program. We will however have a streamed Way of the
Cross at the Traditional hour of 3pm.

Similarly the Easter Vigil cannot be performed adequately by a
single celebrant and we will have to wait till Easter Sunday to
provide an audio stream at the usual hour of 9am.

However, you can always visit the various streams offered from
several of our Mass centers for this particular day, which I gave
in another mailing. I would however recommend the live stream
offered by our chapel in Warsaw, which has the advantage not only
of being in the same time zone as South Africa, but also of being
a direct live video stream of the altar. You will also be able to
observe many Polish customs, such as the Grób Pański on Good
Friday. The link to this live transmission is the following:

https://livestream.com/accounts/29312467

You will note that the events are recorded and so you can also
review them at a different hour than published. Here is the future
program for the Triduum:

* Holy Thursday: 19H00 Mass of the Mandatum
* Good Friday: 18:30 Liturgy of the Adoration of the Cross
* Holy Saturday: 23h00 Easter Vigil

During these three days the chapel audio stream will have a
spiritual conference in the morning after the morning prayers and
meditation at 7:15am.

On Easter Sunday there will be an audio stream of the Mass at
9h. A reminder that our radio stream is at the following location:

http://fsspx.me:8000/chapel.mp3

There is also a 'Chapel' channel on the mumble server where you
can listen to this stream. The mumble server is: fsspx.me, port is
the default and the password is "avemaria". You can choose any
user name to connect to this server.

Here is the complete schedule for this coming week:

* Monday in Holy Week - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio:
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Low Mass
 12:30 Visit to the Blessed Sacrament and Angelus
 17:00 Catechism on Mumble
 18:00 Rosary and Benediction

* Tuesday in Holy Week - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio:
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Low Mass
 12:30 Visit to the Blessed Sacrament and Angelus
 17:00 Catechism on Mumble
 18:00 Rosary and Benediction

* Wednesday in Holy Week - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio:
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Low Mass
 12:30 Visit to the Blessed Sacrament and Angelus
 17:00 Catechism on Mumble
 18:00 Rosary and Benediction

* Holy Thursday - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio:
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Conference on the Passion
 19:00 Video stream of Evening Mass in Warsaw:
       https://livestream.com/accounts/29312467

* Good Friday - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Conference on the Passion in the chapel
 15:00 Way of the Cross
 18:30 Video stream of Liturgy in Warsaw:
       https://livestream.com/accounts/29312467

* Holy Saturday - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio
  6:30 Morning Prayers and Meditation
  7:15 Conference on the Passion in the chapel
 23:30 Video stream of Easter Vigil in Warsaw:
       https://livestream.com/accounts/29312467

* Easter Sunday - NO PUBLIC MASSES, only audio
  9:00 Holy Mass
 17:00 Catechism
 18:00 Rosary

May God bless you abundantly through His Cross,
--
+ Fr. John Jenkins, SSPX <jenkins at sspx.org.za>
Roodepoort, South Africa - PGP: 533B FBFF 7A42 6CB7